Dear Dairy Farmers of America:
I am writing to you about the recent undercover investigation exposing sickening animal abuse at one of your member farms. Workers were caught on hidden camera sadistically kicking, punching, and beating cows.
This must be stopped.
This is only the latest in a string of undercover investigations that have exposed criminal animal abuse in the dairy industry.
It's time for Dairy Farmers of America to adopt meaningful animal welfare requirements (not mere recommendations) for all of its member farms, including:
- Implementing a zero-tolerance policy for kicking, punching, and stabbing cows
- Prohibiting painful and unnecessary mutilations of animals, such as tail docking
- Requiring members to provide a safe and sanitary environment for cattle
- Initiating third-party audits to ensure compliance with DFA’s policy
- Installing video monitoring systems that live stream to the internet to help deter abuse
In recent years, Nestlé, Leprino Foods, Saputo, and Great Lakes Cheese, four of the largest dairy companies in North America, announced industry-leading animal welfare policy reforms. It’s time Dairy Farmers of America does the same.